Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Nope. Still not working. :frowning_face:

Arcade-[POTATO]-[GDV-MINI]-[Vertical].slangp

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Base_CRT_Presets/MBZ__5__POTATO__GDV-MINI.slangp"
//HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_ORIENTATION = "2.000000"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_POTATO_SHOW_SCREEN_OVER_BG = "0.000000"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Community/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/_Potato/Arcade/Arcade_Vertical.png"

Edit: SInce the Carbon Fiber image is showing can we assume it is defined in the base shader as BackgroundVertImage and not a 16x16 placeholder? Or is it falling back to the wrong Horizontal image? (The one defined in the base preset.)

1 Like

Ok, I think it’s probably working properly, in the base POTATO presets both a horizontal and vertical image are supplied, because they have to be because the bezel & frame are baked in to the images.

So since the image is defined in the base preset, to the shader it’s the same as if it was supplied in your simple preset, so if you want it to be overridden then you will need to supply the BackgroundVertImage in your preset.

The presets which are not POTATO do not have the BackgroundVertImage supplied (they have the pass through image supplied). So these should fall back to the horizontal image.

2 Likes

Duimon_MB_Logo

The Duimon_Mega_Bezel repo and release are updated to v0.9.0.2

Changes:

• Added the Arduboy.
  • Updated presets using “Empty Tube Space” to work with the newest shader release.
  • Added Tube Black Edge Corner Radius Scale to the Apple IIe and IIgs Potato Monochrome presets.
  • Replaced the red GBA SP graphic with a gray version and modified the presets to do the coloring.
  • Updated the Game Boy, GBC, and GBA “Bezel” presets to use the new Gel Layer fake scanline method.
  • Added BackgroundVertImage path to the MAME and Arcade Potato presets so they will auto rotate with supported cores.
  • Modified the Potato FB-Neo vertical presets so they will work correctly with a properly configured core.

The link to the current release is in the first post. Installation/Update instructions are near the end of the second.

9 Likes

Hmm, I still don’t see it…

Doh, I missed the point about it being in the second post, and not the first. You may want to drop a link to the post at the end of your update

5 Likes

Done. I also moved it to the first post and edited my announcement.

Thanks for your input my friend.

Edit: I did a bit of work editing the installation instructions.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: CRT shader for Steam Deck (and possibly low res display)

Looking forward to setting up Arduboy! While trying out the latest, I noticed the Game Boy didn’t seem to have any bezel reflections. Is this the intended behavior for this preset? Thx!

2 Likes

The reflection is there but the Tube Diffuse layer is obscuring it. @HyperspaceMadness didn’t we have a parameter to keep the diffuse from being part of the reflection?

Looking at my GB presets I am not very happy.

I have been using a lot of Mega Bezel tricks but I think I may simplify it and just wait in the hope that HSM will take a stab at the DMG shader sooner than later.

3 Likes

I tried to recreate the green tint with lfan’s Gameboy Overlay with the Monochrome settings.

2 Likes

Hmm, the tube diffuse should never obscure the reflection, because the game image gets added on top of the diffuse texture.

I’d have to look at the preset to see what’s going on, it almost looks like the game image is not being drawn outside the screen in the first place.

2 Likes

The game image is using multiply blending so that is probably not showing up in the additive reflection.

If I turn off the diffuse I see some reflection.

I’m not sure there is a good solution, hence my willingness to call it quits on the method.

Unless you have some ideas.

3 Likes

So if the green image is set as the tube diffuse image, then it should appear inside the tube and the reflection. If the game image is set to multiply it should also appear inside and outside.

Perhaps there’s something not working properly with the multiply mode?

1 Like

Here are a couple of shots. The first uses multiply for the CRT on Diffuse blending the second uses additive.

You can see a reflection on the second. Part of the issue is that you never get a great reflection from the Game Boy. (At least using LCD-GRID. I’d need to check Guest.)

In both shots the diffuse layer color is very prominent in the reflection.

I think I’ll check some older shader releases to see if it’s something new.

3 Likes

So I think there is something wrong with the multiply mode and it is just not applying outside of the tube, I’ll take a look and fix it if that’s what it is

3 Likes

Here is a new WIP.

The TIC-80 virtual console! :grin:

The layers will be separated so it can be colored.

Since I could do anything I wanted, I blatantly borrowed from various source, (Primarily the 3DS.) then tweaked things to be new.

The Night shot shows an example of an upcoming shader feature that has two ambient layers. By default the background will use the current night layer image and the rest will use a new custom image.

The idea is to add more depth and realism to the lighting.

The TIC-80 is a great, fairly high res console. I hope game development continues.

6 Likes

Since I posted this in the Batocera Discord I thought I best post it here also.

This is a sneak peak at a new milestone in Night/Ambient lighting.

These are all using the existing presets unaltered so the change will be automatic. (Although I will have to tweak some.)

The background will be using the old night image layer and everything else will be using a new custom image. There is an incredible amount of freedom for artists so you can expect some really cool stuff in the future.

7 Likes

Here is another WIP.

Another virtual console, the WASM-4.

This time, like many handheld designers today, I took inspiration from the Game Boy.

This really shows off the new ambient lighting benefits.

Looking at these shots I may move the button closer together.

5 Likes

I made an OCD pass on the WASM-4.

I made the screen a bit smaller, (I thought it needed more device bezel.) made the buttons larger to push them together, (Instead of just moving them.) decreased the brightness of the top highlight, darkened the device bezel, and deleted a couple of drop shadows on the glass layer that didn’t belong.

Here is a colored shot.

And scaled.

The speakers are bugging me a bit. They look good but are too much like the speakers on the TIC-80. I may play around a bit.

7 Likes

Thanks to some feedback from a key member of the Batocera team, I learned two things.

1. My TIC-80 button order was wrong. Seems MS and Nintendo used the same colors but a different layout.

2. The TIC-80 developers envisioned the console with colored buttons, using the XInput layout.

rTZoyO

So I fixed the order and added some colored buttons.

The colored buttons are using the Top Layer so can be hidden or manipulated.

I also added some detail to the WASM-4 speakers.

I think I am happy with both. :grin:

Once these are in the repo my essential list will be down to eleven.

My plan is to spend some time working on Batocera decorations before starting the Amigas, fds, satellaview, and 64dd.

10 Likes

@Wally have you had any luck getting content to run on the Enterprise core?

1 Like