Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

There’s a simple vector preset in the variations folder

Vector-Horizontal__STD.slangp & Vector-Vertical__STD.slangp

It’s a basic looking preset, not the greatest looking vector simulation, it’s missing all the bright dots at the intersections of the lines, we’d need to do something fancier for that kind of effect.

5 Likes

This just reminded me of my Star Wars Arcade days. I used to play in a sit down cabinet. I also remember playing it in monochrome, probably both in amber as well as greyscale on my uncle’s PC and Dell Laptop respectively.

2 Likes

Also something to mention about arcade vector games, if you use them with FB Neo you can turn on a high resolution mode and get a good resolution for the vectors – E.G. 1080 pixels – which will help them appear thinner and better defined.

2 Likes

Hi @HyperspaceMadness. Could you please explain a bit more where this setting is located? I can’t find it within the main Retroarch settings section.

Within the FB Neo I only see Vertical mode option. Is it the one you are referring to, or am I missing something?

1 Like

just follow the exact path from @HyperspaceMadnessretroarch

4 Likes

Ok fount it. Looks like you need to enable Settings > User Interface > Show advanced Settings first. Without it, there is no Core option. Thank you all for the help.

7 Likes

You’re totally right, I’ll add this to the install directions :grinning:

7 Likes

This is now my new excitement and updating all non-handheld systems with this option enabled and it’s absolutely represents a better crt tube this way :heart_eyes:

Gues you can always find new things to discover if you really up to exploring all the shader parameters. It’s always great pleasure to see what others doing with your shader parameters that I’m still unaware of :grin:

5 Likes

I was wondering if it’s possible to have a direct shader parameter to load our own backgrounds? :thinking:

4 Likes

I just created an account to ask about this. I’ve read the README, but I just can’t figure out how to even change the background/overlay from the default black carbon fiber background. I see the examples in the main post but I just don’t see any option to change to use those.

3 Likes

Right now you have to do it in a text file rather than through the retroarch ui. I’ve got plans for this, but that’s the future.

To do this, load a preset, then save a new simple preset file. Then open the new preset file you saved and add a line for each image you want to replace. To find the list of image names and exact syntax you can look at the end of one of the base presets.

For the background you can use:

• BackgroundImage = BackgroundImage_Carbon_3840x2160.png

And if you want the image for vertical games to change too, you can use:

• BackgroundVertImage = BackgroundImage_Carbon_3840x2160.png

And I hear someone has carpet textures! :rofl:

5 Likes

I’m planning on adding a new feature to retroarch to be able to choose textures from the ui, so it will be coming eventually :grin:

5 Likes

Great to hear. That would be convenient route for sure!

For now I’m just doing the text edit and it’s also easy to do once you get used to it :grin:

I like stickers :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V 0.9.099 2022-01-22 Rev 1

Changes:

• Updated to crt-guest-advanced-2022-01-14-release1
  • Graduated Sonkun and BendBombBoom presets to the Community_CRT_Variations folder
  • Updated Cyberlab
  • Auto Aspect Ratio
    • Put in a catch for PS games with a 448 vertical resolution so they show up with a horizontal aspect, like the dreaded Tekken 3
  • Fixed Core Sampling Multiplier when the Rotate CRT is on
  • Fixed distance between Dual screens for wider monitor setups
  • On/Off scaling of masks with viewport zoom, defaults to Off
  • Parameter for Black Edge Under/Over the gel image
  • Tube Black Edge Thickness X Scale

HERE ARE THE LINKS!

Shader Package Approx. 15 MB

Extra Examples Package

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

• You MUST use Retroarch Version 1.9.8 or Later (It will fail to load on earlier versions)
    • If you have previous versions of the Mega Bezel installed:
      • Delete the old Mega Bezel stuff from shaders/shaders_slang/bezel
    • Inside the .zip is a bezel folder, copy the bezel folder into your Retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang folder
      • The final path to the Mega bezel should be Retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel
    • Set video driver to Vulcan
      • It will run in GLCore but seems faster in Vulcan
      • Some users have run it successfully in D3D11 but with a slow load time
    • Open the Settings Menu and Set:
      • Video / Scaling / Aspect Ratio to Full
        • This will match your monitor aspect aspect ratio
      • Video / Scaling / Integer Scale to OFF
      • Video / Output / Video Rotation to Normal
      • User Interface / Show Advanced Settings to ON
      • Core / Allow Rotation to OFFImportant for FB Neo
    • Load a preset in the shaders menu, Mega Bezel shader presets are found in:
      • shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets
    • When you save a preset make sure you have the Simple Presets feature set to ON
      • This will save a preset with a reference to the preset you loaded plus whatever parameter changes you made
      • This will keep your presets loading properly when the shader updates in the future

Dual Screen supported for different viewport aspect including ultra wide

Tekken Auto Aspect

Original:

Colored Gel On

Thicker Black Edge

Black Edge Under Gel

15 Likes

Looks like I have some work to do on some presets. (Just when I thought I had time to do a graphic or two. :wink:)

Thanks for the update my friend. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Getting closer to the retro-scenery composition I was dreaming about when I first got my hands on Mega Bezels… and this is real-time, flexible, and FAST.

Coming soon in my next project… Mega Bezel CRT Experience!

10 Likes

This background is very immersive! I like it!

3 Likes

That DS overlay looks amazing. Is it included in the pack?

2 Likes

You can get it here:

2 Likes

Great update!

Hey I just randomly remembered you teased the possibility of there being animated backgrounds in the past – like a rainy window behind a TV. That would be awesome. Or a flickering candle :exploding_head: Please tell me it’s still possible some day :smiley:

2 Likes