Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness,

Do you think it might be a good idea to include a summary or a little note of my findings here to serve as an indicator of the minimum tested hardware requirements to run the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader?

I get a number of questions from users asking if their device would be able to run HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader so who knows it might inspire them to try first if they have an idea of the baseline and which preset it works with from the get go.

Many users seem to think they need a really powerful system in order to run the shader and it seems as though it has gotten a slight reputation as a heavyweight from earlier impressions of the software.

4 Likes

I think it’s a good idea to have some info available for this, but I think the info is really needs to be a table for what is the minimum requirement per scenario.

The performance is mainly affected by a few things

• Type of preset
  • Core resolution
  • Final output resolution

If we give a minimum for GDV-MINI Potato, this is not going to be the same minimum for other presets, and we could end up misleading people. Because for example the SMOOTH-ADV is the most demanding preset especially at 4K and is going to have a different minimum requirement.

After the survey we might have some good information about what people are using. If we could collect a number of data points about the performance of specific presets at specific output resolutions, and taking into account core resolution.

This could give people a clear picture of what performance they can expect for what usage.

If you want to collect some specific performance for specific combinations of hardware, preset and resolution it could help this effort.

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness gotta give it to you, it’s at a point where emulator YouTubers are talking about your project, it’s definitely prime time now. That’s amazing and I got to witness it grow to this point:

https://youtu.be/QgHQsrOGMN0

4 Likes

RetroArch is something worldwide. Thank you for this extraordinary work you are doing, I think shaders are the future to imitate a CRT, even surpass them. :pray:t2:

If you want to go one step further, you can put interactive reflections, taken from the luma channel of a webcam. :wink:

I wanted to see static reflections, but I can’t activate, it freezes. I know that my core i7 integrated is a bit modest, still, I can load the metacrt which has a 3d environment.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I have downloaded and installed using the instructions on the first post. I’m using RA Steam. Wasn’t able to extract all the community presets as the filenames were too long for Windows.

I’ve gotten a few presets working, like the glass one. Looks great! How do I find the presets that include console graphics? I really want to try the 3DS and PSX ones in particular.

2 Likes

To get presets with console graphics, check out @Duimon’s Graphic presets

1 Like

Here is a quote from an article detailing a solution.

In the past, the maximum supported file length was 260 characters (256 usable after the drive characters and termination character). In Windows 10, you can enable long file name support, which allows file names up to 32,767 characters (although you lose a few characters for mandatory characters that are part of the name).

To enable this, perform the following:

1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
  3. Double-click LongPathsEnabled
  4. Set to 1 and click OK
  5. Reboot

This can also be enabled via Group Policy via Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > Enable NTFS long paths.

2 Likes

Which video driver are you using? Make sure you are using vulkan or glcore, it will fail to load with D3D.

Also it does take a number of seconds to load, but should still load on less powerful hardware

1 Like

Hi, instead of trying to extract, try opening the zip in Windows Explorer, then copying the folder to the clipboard. Then navigate to the Folder you would like to copy it to and paste it there.

Can’t figure out how to make this to work on LAKKA 4.2 (retroarch 1.10.x), presets won’t load. Any ideas ?

3 Likes

Can you get me a log? Then I can take a look at what might be going on.

There are instructions on how to at the top of this thread, or in the readme

3 Likes

I use Linux Ubuntu, with the Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) driver.
OpenGL enabled, I can use Vulkan with the driver PPA, but it gives too many problems and is slower.

1 Like

Yes, actually, the new method of installation via the online updater is so easy that’s almost free. The setup instructions in the .md file are also quite easy to follow.

Warning: I’ll play a little of a devil’s advocate from now on because what I want to stress out how important should be (at least for me) to provide adequate documentation and guidance for novice users now that the project has gone official and hopefully lots and lots of people will want to try it.

1. However well done, a *.md file inside the shader folder is not an ideal way to provide official first time setup instructions. Not everybody will be able to find it or properly read it. I stress that the Mega Bezel needs and deserves a proper internet page.
  1. Everyone in the board had been quite friendly and eager to help, and I thank everyone, but it’s fundamentally not correct to rely on a forum board and it’s users for basic instructions to use a product. In this regard, the official Retroarch blog post is already a good showcase of HSM MB and it’s basic installation process. A lot more people will come, and we can’t expect users to answer more and more to the same inevitable questions that will be easily answered by a FAQ page.

M 3) I’ll take advantage of your kind offer to help :slight_smile: Apart for the basic HSM MB installation, what really is left out is how to install all the various overlay additions which make use of it, some of those are listed directly in the forum thread, and what’s their use.

Duimon’s, OrionAngel’s… what do they provide? What’s the difference between them? What should I choose?

Let’s examine my use case: I only care about arcade games and I want overlays for each arcade game I own. What’s the best “package” for me? How do I setup HSM MB and the additional resource do do this.

(NOTE: I’m REALLY asking this. Since I come and go from the forums, sometimes for months, and my memory is very bad, every time I get back I have to get back on track and start from scratch, because in the meantime chances are I deleted the old Retroarch installation or installed a new distro over the old and so on…)

As you can see, I think it will be a fairly common question from now on. It’s impossible to rely on reading a 4200+ post forum thread for this. This kinds of FAQ should be addressed by a static landing page where you can just redirect new users. Of course each external resource should take care of documenting its basics, but since the project grew into a community, a single community page for all would be fantastic.

3 Likes

Hi. Just a little nitpick on the (excellent) documentation. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Step:

• User Interface / Show Advanced Settings to ON

should be listed first, as it impacts whether other entries are visible or not, such as:

Video / Output / Video Rotation

3 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I had to set up GIT to install Duimon’s presets, but after that it was plain sailing.

Everything is working straight away more or less, except for DS which is all kinds of kooky (probably need the correct screen layout to get it to work).

PSX also crashes whenever I apply a shader. Could the cause be the core I’m using? I think it’s Duckstation currently.

2 Likes

This is going to be a tough desire to satisfy since no complete arcade set is available.

I made an attempt to tackle this early on in my journey by writing some scripts that convert the bezel project overlays into Mega Bezel presets.

https://github.com/Duimon/thebezelproject-scripts

The end result can be found here…

If/when @HyperspaceMadness adds a token to RA it will be fairly easy.

In the mean time I can try to run the scripts using the current shader and see how it goes.

If all goes well I will update the scripts readme and let you know.

BTW. The method will work with any custom Mega Bezel settings so you could use something like what @hgoda90 is doing.

Or anything you tweak up for yourself.

2 Likes

The fix is to use the SwanStation core. Retroarch has changed the core to SwanStation and I don’t think they are going to be updating the Duckstation core anymore.

It could also be your internal resolution scale. Try setting it to 1x.

3 Likes

I got it to work by changing the GPU Renderer to Vulkan.

1 Like

One thing I will mention is that horizontal vs vertical will be an issue. The Best practice is to have them in separate folders for content directory presets. If this is the case then The Bezel Project installation will have to be run twice, while backing up images, to get two groups of overlays. :frowning_face:

1 Like