New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

New Release Version (2022-05-29-r1):

Notable changes:

• support for adaptive sharpening and pre-scalers added
  • example of setting the parameters:
  • for 3x xBR pre-scaler set ntsc resolution scaling to 0.33, Prescale-X to 3.0 and increase filter width and sigma bx 3x
  • small tweaks the the ntsc shaders (3rd pass only).

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/cggRjTqA#QauEfwbdpQciztNiwNjQqcgaeqsx4C9lh3hr_uCfn_8

11 Likes

I’m using some extreme sharpness settings. The results are quite satisfying for me personally.

For 3-phase ntsc_sharp = “-7.650000” ntsc_slimit = “0.650000” S_SHARP = “1.600000” HSHARP = “1.400000” HARNG = “2.800000”

For 2-phase ntsc_sharp = “-8.650000” ntsc_slimit = “0.850000” S_SHARP = “1.900000” HSHARP = “1.600000” HARNG = “3.299999”

The artifacts introduced by extreme sharpening are very tolerable and in most cases, they seem to simulate what we would actually see from sharp composite signals. Not sure what to call them, ringing, shadows around the edges, like JPEG/MPEG compression artifacts.

I know some people totally hate these, but when it comes to crt emulation they do add some extra flavors. Not sure if I correctly remember how crts used to look like, but these artifacts actually give me an illusion of a somewhat distorted, imperfect video signal I used to see from the real thing. :smile:

3 Likes

Sad, but all old presets with NTSC that use your shader now in RED Filter

2 Likes

Mixing old and new shaders to use the same presets doesn’t work any more with ntsc presets. But you can grab an older version from this thread and load the presets from it’s separate folder.

The folder is already present within linked .zip file, just extract it somewhere, preferably into the slang shaders directory.

6 Likes

Amazing work, @guest.r you’ve outdone yourself! :clap:

3 Likes

New Release Version (2022-05-31-r1):

Notable changes:

• ntsc-pass3 refactoring, ntsc-sharpen effect refactoring
  • default ntsc filtering settings changed somewhat
  • hd version ringing improved
  • custom fast sharpen parameter name change, ordinary fast sharpen shader may be added

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/c8ZhlDYa#KPNZHIMjoIHOlC_DDmGvsETPkxUBOpbzynB0vo-BWdg

9 Likes

New Release Version (2022-06-02-r1):

Notable changes:

• ntsc-pass1 cleanup of parameter, unneeded condition; small speedup
  • ntsc, ntsc-fast and hd version filtering color clamping range optimized

Additional note:

Thanks for the nice and constructive feedback, liking and trying the crt-guest advanced versions, it really helped with the shader development. Currently no observable misfunctioning was found by me, neither reported and the shaders seem to work well. So this version imo deserves to be declared as ‘a stable release’. Later releases and improvements are also possible, but let’s call it a day. :smile:

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/spYHmaTC#8Q4jjPL3mXFBN6hvPmRzS5w8uKMuAL4Ca79mMXbHnrg

20 Likes

Great work as always!

IMHO I think at some point you might want to release this shader as Guest Advanced 1.0 (or 2022, 1st Gen, etc) and only fix bugs that are worth fixing.

All the future improvement/new features, minor or major, can be added to Guest Advanced 2.0 alpha, for enthusiasts and users who want to try new things. Just my 2 cents :smiley:

3 Likes

If this is the last update for a while I gotta say thanks for this amazing shader. This shader has been nothing but amazing and I’m glad I’ve been around to see this shader evolve and participate in helping make it even better, the last new filter/sharpening settings were nice add-ons and even though I’m sure all of is with presets had to adapt/retweak our presets and get used to the new settings I feel they were welcome additions.

On that note this release seems to be more of a maintenance release so I don’t think I have to go retweak anything. Until the next update eventually comes along I’ll continue using this amazing shader for days to come. Thank you once again @guest.r

6 Likes

The ntsc filtering is wonderful! ! I noticed in the last update that it’s allowing more details, but the blend is still amazing, you’re so talented!

Using ringing seems to increase the feeling of sharpness and detail, but from what I’m testing now, without ringing the result is already awesome!

3 Likes

No dither, no ringing, much sharper!

sat = “0.000000”
contr = “0.200000”
quality = “-1.000000”
ntsc_phase = “2.000000”
cust_artifacting = “1.100000”
ntsc_sharp = “-10.000000”
ntsc_shape = “1.000000”
CCONTR = “0.000000”
GAMMA_INPUT = “2.750000”
interm = “5.000000”
S_SHARP = “2.000000”
HSHARP = “2.000000”
HARNG = “0.000000”
glow = “0.000000”
bloom = “0.400000”
gamma_c = “1.300000”
brightboost = “1.899999”
gsl = “1.000000”
scanline1 = “9.000000”
shadowMask = “6.000000”
maskstr = “0.800000”
masksize = “2.000000”
mask_gamma = “5.000000”
gamma_out = “2.100000”
post_br = “1.300000”

3 Likes

Congratulations on a job well exceptionally done @guest.r!

Thanks for creating and improving this great piece of software and for being there to support those who wished to use it as a vehicle for their creativity.

I hope you have collected a collage of videos and screenshots of what great art people have been able to create and enhance with your masterpiece!

I will leave you with a gift of video game music links as a tribute and testament to your unrelenting diligence and dedication on this journey!

5 Likes

What exactly does a negative mask strength do?

2 Likes

With ‘trinitron control’ masks (5-10,13) negative mask strength determines how big is the portion in the brighter color spectrum which doesn’t get masks applied.

3 Likes

I like the effect. It almost looks like bloom.

3 Likes

Ah, it changes the colors though. Oopsy. Very visible in games with large, flat-shaded areas. No shader:

HD preset with negative mask strength (-0.45, mask 6, stagger 1):

Of course one could say it improves the image too. It’s subjective.

1 Like

Some variables can be set up though so the colors and brightness can look very alike compared with the original image. Automatic brightness correction was on the table couple of years ago, but i rather removed most of this stuff out of the shader for manual tweaking.

1 Like

Since we’re more or less at 1.0 now, any chances for a reshade port? I know DevilSingh already did one last year, but it’s a bit outdated now. It would also be nice to have ports of NTSC and HD versions with all the features.

3 Likes

I feel bad for wanting to be spoonfed like this, but I checked the readme and its pretty out of date. What kinda settings would I use if I wanted to replicate a consumer Trinitron on a 4K OLED?

2 Likes

I’d say CRT Mask 13 at 100% Mask Strength.

You can also try these:

1 Like