CRT Squabblin'

I once got in a forum knockdown drag-out with a guy who insisted that CRT shaders were useless because CRTs were analog, so there was nothing to emulate.

I think Guest’s shader soundly proves him wrong.

I am a chef. Someone once told me what they had made for dinner and asked me if they had made it correctly. I said “Did you like it?” They said “Yes.” I said. “Then you made it correctly.” :grin:

If you like it eat it.

4 Likes

Literally three of us have, and do you know what a facade/facia is right?

Just because the plastic is curved doesn’t mean the glass is, and a flat glass screen curves to the left and right technically. (Just glass is just added until it’s flat, causing a magnification effect; Source I own a flat glass screen CRT, and a close friend owns a flat glass Trinitron, they both do this.)

1 Like

I stand corrected then. I thought there was a slight curve in the glass matching the slight curve in the bezel. I also thought that that was the same TV that @Brainbin74 was speaking about.

I’m using my mobile phone so perhaps on a larger screen things might have been more obvious. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, my apologies if anyone felt offended or for taking away from the topic.

no, this is the one… and i agree with you on the mask and scanline… why have scanline with a trinitron mask??? it’s like coding a pixel in a box. not just vertical mask lines plus horizontal scanline… because that’s not what you see on sony trinitron crt you just see small box with phosphors, and it’s beautiful… who can do that? it’s like having a simple overlay of a slot mask grid where it doesn’t have the offset seen above on my screen… I’ll try guest here and see what it offers in mask…trinitron… this is my crt and has a curvature

1 Like

well I download this is the last one???

crt-guest-advanced-2021-09-07-release1 .zip I’ll explore and see if I can finally do what I want… weird i found the megaman post here that talks about guest and he managed to imitate the trinitron aperture… https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/ohdlnv/photo_of_real_crt_trinitron_vs_screenshot_of_crt/

1 Like

You can also download:

Or this:

These include the latest CRT Guest Advanced Shaders at the time of their release and they have those awesome real-time bezel reflections too. You can probably ask @Duimon or @TheNamec if they can make a compatible Bezel to match your TV!

1 Like

That is literally what you see on any Sony Trinitron including the photo you posted: horizontal scanlines and vertical RGB phosphors. If you’re not seeing that in your photos it’s due to camera focus.

It’s just…. Man, these are well-established facts. Don’t know what else to say.

It’s cool though, keep on tweakin’

thank you cyber it’s duimon on reddit who posted the shader lotte compared to his meganan on crt… I just played 1 minute with crt guest… well the gamma colors etc are not as accurate as my custom preset which is a slot mask but it looks much better here on the screen.

1 Like

I don’t understand why I see & or things like dollars in the mask… the eyes of alladin in zoom

1 Like

yes my friend it’s the perfect addition it looks like a trinitron aperture

1 Like

another demo of guest-advanced, 5 minutes of tweaking

3 Likes

did you use revision2??? nesguy well played in 5min and in 10 min compared to guest rev1 there is better… more s and dollars in the mask… I don’t know what changed in detail IN CRT SHADER, but much more versatile now I think…

more than to hold the scanline because the pants of alladin does not have the softness of the preset slot mask and that should be able to correspond. after level adjustments of gammas there is not as much adjustment as misc.slangp that I use below but that should be sufficient I believe.

1 Like

Not me, that post was buy a guy named “PizzaCake33”.

Anyway. I like the default Guest ADV in the Mega Bezel, using Lottes mask #4.

This shot uses a visible phosphor layer that reduces contrast in the well lit room, and has a realistic indoor reflection on the screen.

2 Likes

well very good rendering I must say even if I don’t play on such a curved screen… the mask4?? oki me I used the mask 7 I think in guest advanced revision 2.

1 Like

Yep, mask 7 is the 3rd or 4th Lottes mask. I think we like the same mask. :grin:

I have never loaded the stand-alone version of Guest so I am not sure what tweaking @HyperspaceMadness has done to the parameter names and such. He does some pretty major surgery on CRT shaders to transplant them into the mega Bezel.

Thank you. It is all vector in Adobe Illustrator. I have a particular passion for vintage TVs. (My father was a TV repairman.)

I plan on doing some more vintage models after I finish with the graphics for the Mega Bezel. I may do a B&W TV sooner than that. (I just finished a series of monochrome monitors so a B&W TV is fairly mandatory. :crazy_face:)

2 Likes

Could it be due to your particular video driver? Or is that how it supposed to be on all setups? @guest.r @Duimon

thank you for the precision… well I worked one month on a preset for a tv4k oled… the problem that nesguy made me notice is that I was using a slot mask instead of an aperture, slot mask without scanline… the third screen of alladin looks like my sony crt but is not the right mask because slot mask… so here I am to have a shader with the right mask without the visible scanline like my pictures posted above of my sony kvb crt in action.

1 Like

I think you need to become familiar with @Syh’s particular brand of cynicism. :wink:

2 Likes

Is this another one of your renderings? I love this! I would have to admit that I’m a big fan of the faux TV/monitor overlays but not so much the hybrid ones that use a split image of the console or computer being emulated.

1 Like

I don’t know this has been corrected in my guest revision2 screen core i5 4690K 4400MHZ RTX 2070 NVIDIA TURING 24GB RAM WIN 10 UP TO DATE