I made a 4K GBA overlay for retroarch

I made a game boy regular one as well!

Is there a common place for people to post these?

7 Likes

Thanks! They’re pretty small file-size-wise.

1 Like

You could send a PR for them to go into the ‘common-overlays’ repo in the ‘borders’ directory: https://github.com/libretro/common-overlays/tree/master/borders

3 Likes

. I’ve been getting endless amusement tracing old hardware, so I also created this trinitron 4k overlay.

this one isn’t integer friendly. since console resolutions are all over the map, and 4K gives you lots to work with, I can live with that. It’s a 2160x1620 window starting at 840x270.

6 Likes

Here’s a zip to the overlays I’ve created so far.

5 Likes

I love the cell shaded look! :star_struck:

The source for my graphics is vector. If you’re in the mood to do a few more, converting it to this cool style would be pretty easy. A link to my GitHub can be found at the beginning of this thread.

If you are interested, PM me and we can chat.

4 Likes

it looks fantastic i love it

4 Likes

i hope you can make more cool overlay bezel for more systems in future

Added a vintage TV bezel (it’s in the zip marked below)

2 Likes

Thanks - I will absolutely take a look! Though you flatter me - I am dealing with a middling skillset and tools (paint dot net), so the “look” is a reflection of that :).

1 Like

That’s where it always starts.

Here’s a samsung tv that was requested. I’m keeping this zip updated as I go.

5 Likes

here’s a game boy color

5 Likes

here’s a game gear one. It didn’t as easily lend itself to the style / my abilities (too many soft contours), so I cheated by including bit of the photograph to help with shading. it’s meh.

the veiwport starts at 1151, 504 and is 1536x1152. (it’s 8x tall, but stretches beyond 8x wide to accommodate wide game gear pixels).

5 Likes

here’s the flat version

7 Likes

The flat version looks perfect!

3 Likes

Thanks! I think it looks “better” too, it just doesn’t look as much like a real game gear which is loaded with these weird contours. If I were an actual artist, I could maybe mimic those without sacrificing the overall style, but alas.

3 Likes

wonderswan cuz y not.

8x scaled - window starts at 1024,504 and is 1152x1792

3 Likes

You are already an artist my friend.

(Although a year from now you will certainly look back and chuckle at yourself a bit, since you will have learned much.)

But you are definitely an artist!

3 Likes

last couple on the theme - a vertical and horizontal arcade pair.

viewport is 840,270 - 2160x1620 viewport is 1110,0 - 2160x1620

2 Likes