TheNamec - Mega Bezel COMMODORE Pack - Announcement

Emulation is evolving from retro-nostalgia to enhanced retrogaming, leading to modern ways to enjoy our imperfect memories and bringing back this strange “I’ve been there, but something’s different” feeling.

Someone says modern emulation is missing that ancient connection between the gamer and the original hardware: to me, gameplay is the king but… when it comes to the systems of my youth, retro nostalgia kicks in.

I’m an italian graphic artist and this is my love letter to Commodore devices: a special graphic pack for use with RetroArch and HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

WHAT’S IN THE BOX

TheNamec’s Mega Bezel Commodore Pack is a free graphic addon that focuses on a selection of famous Commodore hardware and includes per-model original backdrops and ready-to-go presets for a wide range systems.

Mega Bezel Commodore Pack is compatible with Libretro RetroArch frontend and it’s based on HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader developed by HyperSpaceMadness.

For updates on the project follow me on the Official DevBlog: https://retrogamingpacks.blogspot.com

NOTE: Mega Bezel Commodore Pack will be released as soon as RetroArch 1.10 gets available to the public, as it is based upon new shaders features.

Features

• 4K, horizontal 16:9, 300dpi original vector-based design
  • Photorealistic-like shading
  • Historically based details taken from actual hardware, advertising and manuals
  • Modular experience: choose display, data units and mods
  • Comfortable Day&Night experience with separate layers for backdrops, displays and lightning
  • Remixed familiar elements (ever dreamt about an integrated Datassette? Huge keys?)
  • Perceptive dis-proportion between elements and fan-based branding
  • Retro-modding twists :wink:

Works fine with zero config

One of the main objectives of Retrogaming Packs is to make the best visual technology in retrogaming accessibile just for everyone: a huge effort was invested in developing modular preconfigurations, called ‘Shader Presets’ in Libretro jargon, to expose the full potential with near to nothing user-side setup.

For each system you will get ready-to-go presets for each model variant, including display alternatives and Day&Night lightning solutions to choose from just by loading the configuration.

Many systems and models

Current project roadmap plans the release of packs for Commodore VIC20/VC20, Commodore C64 and Commodore Amiga systems with well-known model variants and some original designs.

Commodore VIC20, VC20

Golden Label, MarkII, Mark3, VIC-1001

Commodore C64

Silver Label, Breadbin, Drean, ALDI, G Series

Commodore Amiga

A500, A500 Plus, A600, A600 HD, A1200, Amiga CD32, A1200 Synthwave

Classic Displays

You can choose your preferred display from an array of fully modelled classic monitors including Commodore 1702, Commodore 1084, Commodore 1084S-D1, Commodore 1084S-D2 CDTV Black Edition and a bezel&frame fallback preset.

Because in reality Commodore displays were widely cross-platform compatible, you are free to combine classic displays with all systems: I myself originally used a C1084 monitor on my Amiga 500, while lots of people used it as an high-end monitor for C64!

Modular displays and levels of zoom

Thanks to the modular design you can indipendently zoom the screen while backdrops stays in place: system presets are preconfigured to use the zoomed-in view , a fine-tuned sweet spot between gaming area and system graphic backdrop, while display presets are preconfigured for a fullbody view against an elegant, dark wall background.

Fallback view maximizes gameplay area by completely hiding display borders and just showing a real-time generated bezel&frame from HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader, available with both per-system graphics and dark wall backdrops.

You can dinamically customize the level of display zoom at any time via a single parameter, textures layers logic will automatically take care of resizing for the best experience and easiness of use.

Day&Night lightning mode

Let your retrogames shine! Day lightning mode makes you enjoy a full lit backdrop showing all accurately rebuilt graphics details.

Do you want to turn off the lights? Night lightning mode is easier on your eyes as it simulates a soft, warm lit room full with led lightning from your retrogaming systems.

System presets come with day and night variants for each display out-of-the-box so you can instantly choose the best solution with zero configuration.

You can try creating your personal ‘evening’ and ‘twilight’ custom lightning presets with a single percentage parameter. It’s just that easy!

Data devices… with a twist

To further enhance retrogaming experience, Commodore Pack includes carefully vector-drawn data devices from the past and some special “mods”.

Modules you’ll find in system presets include:

• Datassette: 1530 C2N, 1530-B C2N, DC120
  • Floppy/Disk drives: A1010
  • Mods: Datassette Bulb Lightning, Floppy Emulator

THANKS GO TO…

• My father Rocco, for introducing me in Commodore computers gaming at the age of four
  • My girlfriend Sabrina for supporting me in doing something funny, just for fun sake
  • HyperSpaceMadness for his impressive shader and support
  • Duimon for the inspiration and for setting excellent design quality standards
8 Likes

WOW Great work their mate, I see this is very new. So none of the downloads are working as of yet?

May I put in some sort of request. A 16:9 Bezel with the beige 1084S Monitor with “blue Amiga hand and floppy logo” with a Beige Amiga A500 on either side of this monitor, Going from my experience this is the setup most common for Amiga owners back in the day such as myself and many of my friends. I think this would be very popular.

Thanks DK

1 Like

I’m waiting for Retroarch 1.9.1 to be out, as the pack uses new features. I think it’ a matter of days, according to latest RA news :heart_eyes:

The pack includes presets variations to combine each monitor with each system, so you can have 1084S with A500 out-of-the-box!

PS: This was my exact setup in the 90s!!!

3 Likes

Oh that’s GREAT I look forward to both when they come out :+1: :+1: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

These are stunning, I only downloaded Duimon’s sets yesterday and was saddened by the lack of Commodore love. This has made me very happy!

3 Likes

As you know the release of the Mega Bezel Commodore Pack is subdued to next RetroArch version… so to pass some time, here’s some dev screenshots.

Development started in the end of October, after my encounter with @Duimon’s project: he encouraged me to start a Commodore Pack.

Here’s an initial prototype design for an hybrid A500/A1200 overlay, at that time I was experimenting with a more “cartoonish” solution:

Amiga Hybrid early prototype

After meeting up with @HyperspaceMadness and getting deeper in his shader customizable features, I decided to develop the modular monitor design and get proper per-model backdrops, full with lightning

Amiga 500 with 1084 Monitor

Amiga 1200 with 1084S D1 Monitor

So at some point the design went from exaggerate and cartoonish to dis-proportioned and realistic.

To be sure to never look back, prototype source was definitely destroyed. :grin:

2 Likes