Megathread: "Which ROMs work with Lakka?"

Getting Started

RetroArch, and therefore Lakka, incorporates a ROM scanning system to produce playlists in the horizontal “XMB” menu. Each ROM that is scanned by the playlist generator is checked against a database of ROMs that are known to be good copies.

The most successful approach for adding ROMs to Lakka is to use ROM sets that have been pre-validated according to the same “DAT” file used by the RetroArch playlist scanner. You will find that many ROM collections are distributed with information about which DAT was used to process them, for example No-Intro, Redump, or Gruby’s ScummVM Adventure Pack.

After you read this post, be sure to check out these two pages within the documentation.

[ul] [li]Lakka ROMs doc [/li][li]Lakka BIOSes doc [/li][/ul]

Step 1: Select systems which are emulated by Lakka

The list below is organized by the system which is emulated, written in bold on the left.

If you are using ROMs that have been pre-validated with the same DATs used by the RetroArch scanner, you will not need the filename of the corresponding emulator core, which is written in plain text to the right. These emulator path and filenames are only important for creating custom playlists.

Note: The exact list of which emulator cores is included with Lakka varies from one hardware platform to another. In other words, Lakka for x64 PC does not have the same emulator selection as Lakka for the Raspberry Pi 1 due to differences in their respective hardware.

• Atari - 2600: /tmp/cores/stella_libretro.so
  • Atari - 7800: /tmp/cores/prosystem_libretro.so
  • Atari - Jaguar: /tmp/cores/virtualjaguar_libretro.so
  • Atari - Lynx: /tmp/cores/handy_libretro.so
  • Atari - ST: /tmp/cores/hatari_libretro.so
  • Bandai - WonderSwan Color: /tmp/cores/mednafen_wswan_libretro.so
  • Bandai - WonderSwan: /tmp/cores/mednafen_wswan_libretro.so
  • Cave Story: /tmp/cores/nxengine_libretro.so
  • Coleco - ColecoVision: /tmp/cores/bluemsx_libretro.so
  • DOOM: /tmp/cores/prboom_libretro.so
  • FB Alpha - Arcade Games: /tmp/cores/fbalpha_libretro.so
  • GCE - Vectrex: /tmp/cores/vecx_libretro.so
  • Lutro: /tmp/cores/lutro_libretro.so
  • Magnavox - /tmp/cores/Odyssey2: o2em_libretro.so
  • MAME: /tmp/cores/mame2003_libretro.so
  • Microsoft - MSX2: /tmp/cores/bluemsx_libretro.so
  • Microsoft - MSX: /tmp/cores/bluemsx_libretro.so
  • NEC - PC Engine SuperGrafx: /tmp/cores/mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.so
  • NEC - PC Engine - TurboGrafx 16: /tmp/cores/mednafen_pce_fast_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Famicom Disk System: /tmp/cores/nestopia_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Game Boy Advance (e-Cards): /tmp/cores/mgba_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Game Boy Advance: /tmp/cores/mgba_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Game Boy Color: /tmp/cores/gambatte_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Game Boy: /tmp/cores/gambatte_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Nintendo 64: /tmp/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Nintendo DS Decrypted: /tmp/cores/desmume_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Nintendo DS (Download Play) (BETA): /tmp/cores/desmume_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Nintendo DSi Decrypted: /tmp/cores/desmume_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Nintendo DSi (DLC): /tmp/cores/desmume_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System: /tmp/cores/nestopia_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Satellaview: /tmp/cores/snes9x2010_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System: /tmp/cores/snes9x2010_libretro.so
  • Nintendo - Virtual Boy: /tmp/cores/mednafen_vb_libretro.so
  • Quake1: /tmp/cores/tyrquake_libretro.so
  • ScummVM: /tmp/cores/scummvm_libretro.so
  • Sega - 32X: /tmp/cores/picodrive_libretro.so
  • Sega - Game Gear: /tmp/cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so
  • Sega - Master System - Mark III: /tmp/cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so
  • Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis: /tmp/cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so
  • Sega - PICO: /tmp/cores/picodrive_libretro.so
  • Sega - SG-1000: /tmp/cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so
  • Sinclair - ZX Spectrum +3: /tmp/cores/fuse_libretro.so
  • SNK - Neo Geo Pocket Color: /tmp/cores/mednafen_ngp_libretro.so
  • SNK - Neo Geo Pocket: /tmp/cores/mednafen_ngp_libretro.so
  • Sony - PlayStation Portable: /tmp/cores/ppsspp_libretro.so
  • Sony - PlayStation: /tmp/cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so

Step 2: Check which ROMs are supported for your chosen system

Refer to the libretro-database README in order to find which ROMs are suported by the playlist generator for your system. This will allow you to search for ROMs which the scanner can automatically add.

Advanced

Creating your own playlists

If you would like to generate playlists without the aid of the generator, or generate playlists for systems that do not have generator support yet, the playlist file format has been documented. Tools and scripts are also available to generate playlists outside of the RetroArch interface.

Rebuilding and validating your own ROMs

Please note: Instead of downloading ROM collections that have been prevalidated with the same databases as the scanner, you may be able to use software like ClrMamePro and ROMVault to validate your own ROM collection against a DAT. These tools are powerful, but are also complex and not friendly to new users.

18 Likes

Placeholder post

1 Like

Thank you to gauchi for sending me updates to the Saturn and ScummVM information. If anyone else has updates please let me know!

2 Likes

Atari 7800 (Good7800 v2.04) Bandai WonderSwan (GoodWSx 3.14)

1 Like

Is there a rom pack anywhere with the 0.78 MAME roms already named properly and converted to mame2003 for Lakka?

1 Like

Having the full game title in the filename would be convenient, but MAME actually requires that games be named the way they are in order to be properly recognized and emulated.

As far as the second half of your question, you should be able to find the MAME 2003 Reference Set which is a complete 0.78 set in Non-Merged format. You’ll have to find it in your own though. We can’t link to ROM sources per the rules of this forum.

1 Like

@markwkidd, I think the Supported ROM Set of FBA needs to be updated with the 0.2.97.39 set. At least to me and other in this forum, CPS2 games of the 0.2.97.38 set does not work. About the Gruby’s ScummVM pack, I’m not sure if it was the first I’ve downloaded, but if it is, the sound is in FLAC compression and voices not worked, even in the xmas release of Lakka. I’ve should downloaded games with the sound in .SOU extension, not .SOF or .SOG. Happy new Year everyone!

1 Like

You are right, the Christmas Lakka version updated its FB Alpha support to 0.2.97.39. I updated the OP table to correspond. Thanks!

To me it seems that Lakka does only recognize 1/3 or 2/3 of my ROMs, because it needs the games to be documented in the playlist file. I do not understand why the developers would impose such a nuisance to regular gamers who simply want to play the games they got. I bet there are some hacked ROMs that are not recognized by the playlist generator. E.g., the 3-player ROM of Seiken Densetsu 3 with German text. The old-fashioned way just worked: all games in the “$consoleName” folder were launched with the appropriate emulator. I still use this on my XBox 1. There was no need to create a playlist with a script that is poorly documented and the average user has a hard time to get to work.

In a nutshell: For some people the playlist method may be comfortable. For others it simply sucks. It would be nice to have the option to choose the ‘old method’ as mentioned above.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Tosnic;53636]To me it seems that Lakka does only recognize 1/3 or 2/3 of my ROMs, because it needs the games to be documented in the playlist file. I do not understand why the developers would impose such a nuisance to regular gamers who simply want to play the games they got. I bet there are some hacked ROMs that are not recognized by the playlist generator. E.g., the 3-player ROM of Seiken Densetsu 3 with German text. The old-fashioned way just worked: all games in the “$consoleName” folder were launched with the appropriate emulator. I still use this on my XBox 1. There was no need to create a playlist with a script that is poorly documented and the average user has a hard time to get to work.

In a nutshell: For some people the playlist method may be comfortable. For others it simply sucks. It would be nice to have the option to choose the ‘old method’ as mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

yep. Unfortunately, because of this new method, I have moved on to other platforms.

1 Like

@anon24419061 I would like to fix the formatting and update my first post in the thread, but I don’t have access when I try to. Would you be willing to take a look? Or is it better for me to start a new thread?

edit: Thanks @hunterk for giving my account permission to edit the OP. I’ve reworked it so it can hopefully continue on as a resource. Corrections and additions are welcome.

1 Like

Hello everyone. Sorry to post like this, but how do I start a new thread for help with my particular issue? I am new here and trying to figure it out.

There should be a “PLUS (+)” button on the bottom right corner of the screen. If it doesn’t, probably you need to use the forum a bit more before you can post a thread. Try finding some post with a similar issue, even if its not exactly yours.

1 Like

Hi all.

Honestly, i couldn’t find a way to create a new post… I’m using lakka i can’t find a way to change discs when you are asked for disc 2 on sega cd, 3do or psx. Some help on this? i already make the try with m3u playlists but even when i can see them on the list of games they go straight to a black screen

Is there any way to swap change discs and continue the games?

Thanks a lot.

Hello :smiley:

To create a new topic under Lakka, follow the link below and you should see a round blue button in the bottom right corner of the page (providing that you’re logged in), click on that and you should be good to go.

Link: https://forums.libretro.com/c/libretro/lakka-tv-general

What hardware and version are you using?

I’m still using the Christmas build on my rpi3. If a game tells me to insert another disc, i pull up the emulator options, scroll down to “Disk Control” and click ok, which brings up the option “Disk Image Append”, click on that and then all thats left to do then is find the disc image, and click on the .cue file.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. I can’t find the disk control option (even using rgui) on lakka x86_64 I managed to create a m3u for PlayStation and it does work (at least is loading the games so I guess that I’d only know finishing a psx disk) but I said, I don’t see any disk control option I did saw it on several videos about retropie but not in Lanka.

Thanks!

The disk control option is in the quick menu.

I still can’t find it on quick menu. The option is no there, but i managed to run PSX games with cue files and playlists as i read on another post and works flawlessly.

I build a mini itx quad core pc, -just mid end with integrated graphics- and everythings runs smooth. A BEAUTY.

Thanks for the responses and i excuse myself for the late response, i’ve been working a lot and i came back yesterday to this small ‘‘project’’ and i’m sorting the dreamcast games now trying to use playlists.

anyway, i still cant find a way to change the disc on the sega CD and 3DO games.

Until now, lakka did all by itself, but it wont recognize some roms. (for some of them the reasons are clear on the documentation) is a bit crazy with mame, but i converted the games to FB with some tools and most of them (at least my favorites) are working.

I will try to use a m3u list for 3DO and sega CD and i will give a look to the menu to see if i find any option to swap the disc.

yep. Unfortunately, because of this new method, I have moved on to other platforms.

Same here. Moved from Lakka because of this method of generating playlists. Not to “necrobump” this thread, but this goes totally at the wrong direction of the “Easy to Use” principles of Lakka, managing roms that way.

I also think that the Old way of generating playlists should be available(one folder mapped to one core). It is frustrating when you copy a bunch of ROMs and you have to deal with adding manually roms to your playlist.

I can offer two updates that are relevant to your critique:

1. New experimental MAME playlist scanning will be part of the next Lakka release. If you are intrepid and want to try to manually add these MAME databases to your current Lakka installation there is a thread about it.
  2. There is now a bounty building up to implement a new “Alternate Playlist Scanning Method” which is probably what you are hoping for. Unfortunately there is only $15 on the bounty right now – if anyone reading this has a few dollars to contribute, that might help.