CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs

…And for those who sometimes play on a big screen TV but sit close to it we have…

CyberLab_SNES_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC_II + CFRS_Mini_TV.slangp

CRT Shader Presets and Graphics by CyberLab.

Powered by HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

6 Likes

Is this shader gonna be updated to 1.8.0? or with the last version is perfectly compatible as it is?

1 Like

I’m just constantly in awe of how your presets can make these games look so incredibly good. This screen alone should be enough to convince people to at least try shaders. I know there are pixel purists out there and all, but I just can’t pass up an oppourtunity to have my games look this good.

1 Like

Please see the above post:

Please see the above post with regards to compatibility:

I actually did this to assist users by the way. With that said if you look at my track record, you’ll see that I’ve tried to keep my preset pack up to date with the latest versions of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection, even if it doesn’t benefit any of my presets or even when performance decreases with no meaningful gain in image quality.

Remember HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader was not created for CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack. It is the other way around and I am not the only user and usage scenario that HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader caters for.

So we’ll have to take a look at the changes and see how they affect CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack and then see what can be done. I’m truly grateful that @HyperspaceMadness provides older versions in the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader Repository.

So don’t look at a previous version as “old” or “outdated” just because a shiny new update has come along. Instead you might want to look at them as more stable versions which have been tried and tested and sometimes run better on older/weaker hardware.

None of the screenshots or videos you’ve seen in this thread were created with the current latest version of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader.

2 Likes

Thanks, I feel the same way about the tools that allow me to make these presets as well! Really cutting edge stuff!

Well you know what they say…every bread has its cheese!

I enjoy the challenge of trying to make games look just as great as they might have looked on original hardware and CRT displays. It’s probably not perfect but to me it’s more than good enough considering how different the hardware that we’re running them on is.

When I get things to looks the way I want, it usually evokes similar feelings as listening to my favourite music or looking at beautiful art that I enjoy.

I’m glad you’re enjoying this journey as much as I am. Thanks again to the shader developers who make this possible!

Don’t forget to adjust the Mask Layout in Shader Parameters to match the subpixel layout of your display!

1 Like

CyberLab_SNES_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC_II + CFRS_Mega_TV.slangp

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC + CFRS_Mega_TV.slangp

4 Likes

Hi. What an amazing preset this is! I am blown away by the effect.

We briefly spoke earlier and I will try to describe my question as best as I can. Since my account is new I am only allowed to post a single image, so I made a Imgur page which is linked below.

Hopefully you have a suggestion for me to try and if you have any questions please let me know.

Cheers, and thank you for your amazing work.

Preparations

• Mega Bezel and CyberLab MBDtP are installed and operational.
  • All instructions for MB and CyberLab MBDtP have been followed.
  • Core: FinalBurn Neo

Goal

The goal is to have video output only, without the bezel and scaled to 100%.

Shader Preset Config

To achieve this I have followed this: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/ryaae9/comment/hsys965/?context=1

Summary:

• Global Graphics Brightness to 0.
  • Int. Scale Mode to 0.
  • Non-Integer Scale % to 100.

Saved as an easy preset.

Issue Description

When running horizontal oriented content the goal is achieved perfectly. The bezel is gone and the video is scaled to 100% with the proper aspect.

When running vertical content, the bezel is gone but the output is not scaled.

Examples: https://imgur.com/a/LcBPDha

2 Likes

Graphics Brightness - 0

Rotate CRT Tube - 1

Integer Scale Mode - 0

Non-Integer Scale % - 100

If you would like to use Integer Scale instead:

Integer Scale Mode - 1

Integer Scale Multiple Offset - 1

You can also leave the Integer Scale Offset at 0 and set the Base Integer Scale Max Height % to whatever percentage gives you the screen size you’re looking for.

If using Non-Integer Scale % and 100% is still not large enough for you, you can go all the way up to 200%.

If this doesn’t work for you, you might have to recheck your settings somewhere.

This example uses my CyberLab__Arcade-Sharp__PVM-Edition__ADV.slangp shader preset. Other presets should work the same.

This is on a 4K screen, if using a different resolution you might have to use different offsets or percentages.

Thanks very much, I’m glad you like it! Couldn’t have done it without the great magic behind the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader by @HyperspaceMadness which is powered by a host of shaders from @guest.r and several other shader developers though!

1 Like

Things have evolved quite a bit since then @ynnad4.

1 Like
2 Likes

i’m very glad that you’re still around buddy. I appreciate all the references you have made to me. I will try to get up to date with the content. Always awesome to see you updating your presets.

1 Like

Thanks.

I remember you made this statement some time ago.

Well, with my new NTSC Shader Presets, this has been accomplished.

The tools to do it were already in existence for quite some time, it just took some time and experimentation in order to understand them well enough to find the right settings.

1 Like

That TV frame is really clean, is it Dumions work?!

1 Like

This is the incredible work of @soqueroeu! I made some custom CRT Shader presets which point to some of his excellent TV Backgrounds. So once both of our Mega Bezel Packs are installed anyone can enjoy the combination that you see in those videos!

Yes it definitely is!

Here’s the link:

1 Like

Sweet, a lot of good stuff there for sure! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, now I’m confused again. :grin: Let’s say I want to use your CyberLab__RGB-Smooth__PVM-Edition__ADV.slangp with soqueroeu graphics. What would be the easiest way?

1 Like

This method should work fine:

Do note that you don’t have to rename any presets to .params. So leave the filenames as they are.

For any secondary presets that you want to use as a params file, you would have to delete or comment out the reference line. In this case you would be using the presets containing graphics as the secondary presets/params files.

The only thing you might want to add is a line below the second reference line that says

HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "0.000000"

…as well as this for non-flat presets.

HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "1.000000"

CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC + Nintendo_NES.slangp

#reference "../../../MBZ__1__Advance_Full_Reflections/1080p_Optimized_Presets/Console_Specific_Presets/CyberLab_NES_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp"

#reference "../../../../Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds_V2.0/presets/TV-Console/Nintendo_NES.slangp"

HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "0.000000"
HSM_CURVATURE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_CRT_CURVATURE_SCALE = "10.000000"
HSM_TUBE_DIFFUSE_MODE = "0.000000"

For all of this to work, I only needed to convert @soqueroeu’s preset to a params file by commenting out the reference line by adding // in front of it.

// #reference "../../../../shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/MBZ__3__STD.slangp"

The most important part and probably the most difficult for those who aren’t advanced users might be to get the paths correct.

As of this time of writing, this method can be used to combine any of my CRT presets (without modification) with any of Soqueroeu-TV-Backgrounds’ graphics presets.

1 Like

This clip was a refreshing blast into the past.

3 Likes

Hello sorry to bother with this but i would like to check again just to be sure, hsm 1.9.0 is already out, should i use that version of hsm or should i use 1.7.0 to not have problems with death pixel shader?

1 Like

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 1.7.0 goes with HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.7.0.

If you use CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 1.7.0 on HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader 1.9.0 it won’t look as intended.

If you read through posts on the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader thread over the past few weeks since 1.8.0 was released, you’ll eventually see some posts talking about differences in output between versions as well as reports and evidence of bugs in the reflection implementation when bezel independent scale is used.

Even 1.7.0 has that reflection bug. I know HyperSpaceMadness has been hard at work ironing out some stuff but based on my last checks the reflection bug still exists even in 1.9.0. So I’m allowing some time for things to settle and be resolved before moving onto adjusting presets just so that they’ll look as good as they already looked.

At some point I will try to take a look back and see where the reflection bug came into the equation. If it’s post version 1.5.0 then from an overall perspective I’d have to say that 1.5.0 would have to have been one of the best releases of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader at least for my usage scenario since it offers improved performance over any release following it.

I might even return to that one until the bugs are ironed out once it still works on my updated RetroArch setup.

See here:

1 Like