Koko-aio shader discussions and updates

Version NG-1.9.13 is up on github and should be available via online updater in Retroarch.

Hi guys, first post here. In the past I made a shader for FS-UAE (Amiga emulation), but since i found that retroarch has a pretty good support for whdload games, I ported it to slangp so that it can be used with other emulators too.

I’m not that expert with technical terms, but i’m fortunate enough to own an old 15khz slot mask crt monitor inside an arcade cab loaded with Advance mame and other old emulators, so I used it as a reference. Why using a shader, you may ask, instead of the almost “real thing™”?

Actually that thing is big, heavy and power hungry and since it is running on an old AthlonXP i expect it to break sooner or later and i’ll not have spare time to fix, that’s for sure. Also, i’ve finally got an awesome oled 4k tv and i think that with that amazing (low) pixel persistance and resolution, we can get pretty damn close to the “real thing™”

One of the main goal of this shader is to be usable on integrated GPUs.
Granted, don’t expect it to run on a Raspberry pi, but the actual target is
Intel Haswell, the one on which I develop it, where it perform with all the features
enabled, when dealing with 240p content, on 1080p at resolution ad about 85/90fps.

Click to read features
  • Scanlines
  • Screenlines
  • RGB phosphors
  • RGB deconvergence
  • NTSC/PAL CVBS color bleeding
  • Aperture grille, slot mask, shadomask.
  • Input signal glowing
  • Output signal glowing
  • Blooming
  • Gamma, contrast, saturation, luminance, color temperature adjustments
  • Black frame insertions through alternate blanking
  • Interlace flickering, forcing and emulation
  • Antialiasing
  • Curvature
  • Ambient lights
  • Vignette and Spotlight
  • Bezel (Thank you HyperspaceMadness for allowing me to rip his automagically generated bezel!) https://github.com/HyperspaceMadness/
  • Background images
  • Full screen glowing
  • 3D rotation/tilt
  • Integer scaling
  • Background image Night mode
  • Support for backdrop images for BW game/CABs that use mirrors
  • NTSC emulation with selective artifacts smoothing
  • Temporal bloom
  • RF Noise
  • Dot matrix display emulation with grid, shadow and motion blur (gameboy mono)
  • Monochrome display “colorization”
  • TATE mode
Click to read relevant changes over 4.1 and previous NG releases

Main changes from NG-1.9.1
Presets

• less bloomy tv-pal-myold preset
  • 2nd take on tv-flickering preset
  • Sharper tight halo
  • Better slotmask-taller preset
  • Lowered spot strength in presets

New Features

• Add an Adaptive black level function (deeped blacks on brighter content)
  • Allow to specify the ambientlight sampling point

Performance

• Several Micro-optimizations (moderate speedup: 2%…3% on my Haswell)
  • Working again on d3d (Xbox) via #define D3D_WORKAROUND
  • Drastically improved compilation times and ntsc color bleed performance on Xbox Series S

Fixes

• Allow to configure dynamic zoom (raster bloom) again (regression fix).
  • Do not nightify bezel when not using bg image
  • Fix black lines on the sides when using dot matrix shadow function
  • Slightly offset x coords too to avoid geometry glitches
  • Avglum functions needs to activate when resolution switch glitch is needed

Main changes from NG-1.4
Presets

• New Monitor-FXAA_sharp-Screen_SlotMask.slangp
  • New Monitor-New_aperturegrille_gm.slangp
  • New Monitor-VGA-DoubleScan.slangp
  • New Monitor-Screen_Hmask-ShadowMask.slangp
  • New Monitor-Screen_Hmask-Screen_SlotMask_Taller.slangp
  • Halved spot power
  • Set almost all presets temperatures to 7200K
  • Switch to “fake” integer scanline instead of faker on interlaced content by default
  • Hard cut artifacts under treshold on NTSC-2 preset
  • Set Automatic integer scanline switching on by default

New/Removed Features

• Dedithering
  • Phosphor persistence
  • Added lcd antighosting static feature
  • Permit integer over-scale
  • Removed tilt along y axis, no performance increase, but one param less.
  • Removed alternate blanking feature (was already made static)
  • Improved NTSC emulation for “anything but rainbows”
  • Allow optional Double-scan low input resolutions
  • Fake integer scanlines: use -1 to let the shader choose when to activate them.
  • Shadowmask
  • Add a vibrance parameter to compress chroma dynamic range
  • Shake the screen for a while when the resolution changes

Fixes

• Corrected fake integer scanlines period
  • Add a new workaround for D3D/XBOX
  • Fix a possible division by 0.0
  • Cut shader compile time from minutes to seconds on XBOX
  • Back/Foreground image rotation/mirroring: support all possible permutations
  • Make fake integer scanlines work with rotated and/or tated games too
  • Integer scaling now works with tate mode on rotated games
  • Bloom: identifying bright areas was broken when overriding content geometry

Changes

• Denoise vignette again
  • NTSC color bleed is controlled by just 1 parameter now
  • Improved dedot function
  • Allow to turn on flickering even when not emulating masks or scanlines
  • Split spot position parameter in two, (X,Y)
  • Don’t draw ambientlight over the content when using foreground image
  • Foreground image, do not “void” transparent areas which are not on top of the game content

Performance

• Overral unchanged
  • Removed some dead code that unexpectedly used to slowdown execution
  • Slightly faster basal grid computation
  • CVBS bleed: 2…4% speedup by joining side loops

Main changes from NG-1.0

Misc

• Xbox/d3d compatibility: add specific workarounds, enable them by editing config/config-static.inc
  • New config/config-static.inc and config/config-user.txt files. Use them to change static parameters or tu turn runtime parameters into static ones and gain performance. Keep a backup before updating, ofc.

Presets

• Mitigate glitch patterns in Generic-Handheld-RGB.slangp
  • Add two handhelds dotmatrix presets “dots” in uncorrected aspect and 4:3 aspect
  • Wider ambientlight in generic handhelds rgb preset
  • Tweaked ambientlight on gba night preset
  • GBA preset: Switched from dotmatrix to pixelgrid
  • Reduce spot power on immersive preset
  • Add a simple immersive fxaa preset in the old 4.1 folder
  • Updated overmask presets to include unsharp-mask+FXAA and moire mitigation
  • New preset Monitor-Screen_Hmask_WideR-Screen_SlotMask

Parameters

• Removed GEOM_CUT_EARS parameter, useless since using my curvature now
  • Add moire mitigation option
  • Allow to define ambientlight wideness for rotated games
  • Allow to switch to fake integer scanlines, always or only on interlaced screens (see docs)
  • Haloing can happen on an already “scanlined” image if a new static parameter: HALO_PRE_SCANLINE_GAP
  • Remove Inter-cell extra steepness parameter; it has been never used and has very little effect
  • Vertical cell Mask->Vertical shift: negative values will select the sharpest line when using screen coords

Fixes/Changes

• Bloom strength on white area was broken when using content geometry override, fixed
  • Mitigate clipping on bright background images when mixing ambilight over them
  • Disable ambientlight debanding grain/noise when using a background image
  • Recentered wx mask so that phosphor falls at the center
  • Fixed textures paths in handhelds presets
  • Give halo a slight (very slight) rounder look
  • Slightly optimized pixel_blank_alternate (still statically disabled)
  • Dedot: use green as main channel
  • Move DYNZOOM_FACTOR in the static config file
  • Switch TATE mode to Auto by default, should affect all the presets

Performance

• Modified debanding code, should be a bit faster now
  • Found a bottleneck in the vignette/spot code; small speedup
  • Since we gained some fps, switch HALVE_BORDER_UPDATE to 0.0 by default
  • small optimization to ntscdec()

Main changes from 4.1

• Low level phosphor-grid which superseedes scanlines, vertical and horizontal mask. provides more features and is much more flexible by allowing to emulate common masks and freely draft new ones.

• Add a new overmask preset to increase the whole visible mask (at the price of moire patterns on lower resolution).

• Add a new Spark look punch to increase the vertical mask effect.

• Allow to vertically stagger single phosphors to better emulate y-deconvercence.

• Allow to change vertical and horizontal mask gamma.

• Spot is now painted over the whole tube when using bezels and not just on the game content.

• Improved reflection look.

• Workaround for Flycast + Nvidia + Glcore + Ambient light not playing well (that was tough).

• Ambient light scene changes are not instantaneous.

• Selective NTSC artifacts blurring: inverted logic/workflow.

• Switched to my own curvature function.

• Luminosity tied zoom now has an hardcoded range.

• Add an option to show “basal” unexcited phosphors grid.

• Allow to use negative blurring parameters to switch from gaussian to box + (eventually) unsharp mask.

• Input gain is not tied to glow feature anymore, moved to color correction section.

• Prevent bloom from color shifting high tones due to color temperature.

• Allow to pre-attenuate gain levels before applying halo. That way it does not change whan changing gain and may help in avoiding cascading effects when drafting presets.

• Overhauled nightify function.

• Allow to widen the ambient light effect without pushing led power

• Allow to set virtual led position.

• New ambient light “immersive” preset.

• Now ambient light bezel and/or background image colorization can use two blend modes, multiply and add (see foggy parametter)

• New active (not used because prone to change) parameter to clear dot masks betweeb scanlines (dedot).

• Ambient light does not depend on color/brightness corrections anymore, set it (once) and forget.

• Debanding is now applied on green component only.

• Ported all old preset to new code.

• Made new presets to show different masks possibilities.

• Experimental delta render to save on battery powered devices which only render zones of the screen that has been changed Statically disabled.

• Allow to set minimum lines to detect interlaced content by runtime parameter.

• Add overlay-powered handhelds presets for: Gamegear,Gameboy Advance, Gameboy mono and Gameboy mono pocket.

• More colorful Ambient lights.

• Dot Matrix strength has now an “auto” parameter that adapt the grid steepness to the viewport size to mitigate glitches.

Useful links

• Make sure to read the docs!
  • Main development done on this Github repo
  • Stable releases should be available through Retroarch’s online updater
    (shaders_slang/bezel/koko-aio/) or here.
  • Click here if you want to try the latest in-develompent shader and unpack the zip somewhere inside your -already in place- shader directory.
    I do not ensure you it will work as expected nor that your cat will be safe.
  • Texture “source” projects for main monitor frame/bezel and other misc files has been moved to another repo to lower the download size.
  • More presets and additional artworks: koko repo || estefan3112 repo || Starman99x repo

• If you want to boost your fps and you don’t mind tinkering with text files, take a look to the file config-user.txt in the shader folder and follow the instructions; on intel IGPs, I’ve seen fps boosted by 45%.

Please, tell me what you think, any comment is really appreciated.

Dynamic room lights (immersive preset)

Hires content

Overmasked

Antialiased

Mask experiments

Handhelds

Ntsc selective blurring and sharpening

monitor-Commodore_1084S-Night

monitor-slotmask-bloom-bezelwider - Arcade - Final fight

monitor-Commodore_1084S-wider - Amiga - ProjectX SE

tv-PAL-my-old - Master System - Trans Bot

tv-NTSC-1 - Genesis - Sonic 2

tv-NTSC-2 - Snes - Aladdin

tv-aperturegrille-bloom-bezel - Amiga - Leander

gameboy_mono_colorized.slangp - Gameboy mono - Super Mario Land

27 Likes

Screenshots look great!

I tried testing it, but looks like you forgot to add curvature.slang to your repository. Retroarch gives that error.

4 Likes

Yep, sorry, and thanks! Just updated!

4 Likes

Thanks! It worked now! I like your slotmask-bloom preset, using scanlines. Good for my tastes. I’m not very technical about crt shaders, so I just gave a completely subjective opinion.

3 Likes

Looks really good! We’re now at a point where we’re spoiled with choices for great looking CRT Shaders!

You can take a look at what I’ve been able to come up with here as well as some other cool CRT Shader projects:

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack

Sony Megatron Color Video Monitor

The Guest-Advanced NTSC thread

The Guest-Advance, 100% mask strength thread

Example videos:

This is what CyberLab Turbo Duo for Blargg + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition looks like today!

CyberLab Turbo Duo for Blargg + Blargg_NTSC_Turbo_Duo_SNES_PSX_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition

This is what CyberLab SNES looks like today!

CyberLab SNES

This is what CyberLab Genesis for Blargg + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition looks like today!

CyberLab Genesis for Blargg + Blargg_NTSC_Genesis_S-Video_CyberLab_Special_Edition

This is what CyberLab NES for Blargg + Core Blargg NTSC S-Video looks like today!

CyberLab NES for Blargg + Core Blargg NTSC S-Video

You can use MPC-HC, MX Player or VLC Player to view the videos.

Here’s a look at my latest preset!

CyberLab Ultimate Virtual Slot Mask CRT-1P2RTA

New Preset and System Recommendations

TVch34 Overlay

Plus

TVch34 Overlay + Mega Bezel

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen your presets, they are great. It seems to me they are targeting 4k resolutions, since you draw the triads horizontal gap too, right?

Do you have any comment or critic specific to work?

1 Like

Thanks!

My presets target 4K mainly but I’ve also tested and optimized presets for 1080p and to a lesser extent 1440p.

Most of them use RGB Mask including at 4K which uses the same mask with a size of 2 which would make it RRGGBB. This is mainly to remain compatible with displays that can’t do RGB Full 4:4:4 at 4K60Hz resolution, like one of my TVs.

Even after testing RRGGBBX masks initially, at 4K60Hz RGB Full 4:4:4, I still preferred RRGGBB because RRGGBBX TVL seemed lower.

However since I realized that in order to get “phosphor” triads to look properly on OLED TVs, I needed to use RRGGBBX mask with reversed Layout, I’ve started to include presets like that for use with OLED TVs.

I’m not one to be too critical, as I don’t even use a real CRT as a reference. I just tweak until stuff looks good to me and your work looks good!

I would just try to avoid making things even the slightest bit blurry especially when viewed from a distance because it’s tough on my eyes.

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

With the new update you can now:

• Emulate monitor curvature
  • Emulate a light spot (in the screenshot it is in the top/right corner)
  • Emulate a vignette effect (see in the screenshot that the monitor uniformity is uneven)
  • Emulate led ambient lights; by now the fade speed is slow and costant, but i plan to add a scene change detection euristic somehow to make the fades instant when the scene changes:

This is a WIP, you need to set aspect ratio to full in retroarch for the ambient light border to work. Also, the aspect ratio may be wrong in some configurations.

8 Likes

Love what I’m looking at here , great stuff , I was wondering if it was possible to reduce the bloom radius less than 0.5 , Ideally to pixel perfect level ? the bloom can help restore some color but the “fog” bleeding can reduce the vibrance

The image below settings were adjusted to my display saturation ,it might look too saturated

1 Like

For that maybe you can just disable blooming and use ‘halo’ setting?

1 Like

In the latest commit i discovered the usefulness of mipmaps over retroarch downscaling :slight_smile:

I may be wrong, but when scaling down using simpler scale#n=, even with bilinear filtering turned on, it seems to just discards whole lines.

Indeed I was in the need of a fast way to get the average luminance of the screen, and just scaling down to a 1x1 textures using absolute scale#n gave me just a pixel, probably from the middle of the texture.

Using mipmapping with a looow precision worked good instead and it gave me the perfect average luminance. This was handy to cheaply detect when a scene change.

That way, the “ambilight™” like effect is slow and not distracting when the scene is the same, but will instantly change when the scene changes.

The change is available in the latest commit.

4 Likes

Yes, you’re correct. Using the mips is the best way to get a fullscreen average.

2 Likes

Right then, so I need to rethink some other downscaling passes made for (big blurs) bloom and ambient lights itself. Thank you

edit: also, I wonder if downscaling this way is the correct behaviour of retroarch; since specifying bilinear filtering doesn’t change a thing; same very bad quality; It’s more like a decimation filter than a down scaler.

If you set mipmap_input on for a pass it automatically takes a mipmapped version, so smoothed together if the resolution is lower.

I do this in a few passes in the Mega Bezel, an example is below, the first pass is really almost like the stock shader, but it linearize it so the blurs work properly and blend in linear space.

// Reduce Resolution  ----------------------------------------------------------------
//      Reduce the resolution to a small static size regardless of final resolution
//      Allows consistent look and faster at different final resolutions for blur
//      Mipmap option allows downscaling without artifacts
shader17 = ../../shaders/HyperspaceMadness/hsm/hsm-linearize-crt.slang
mipmap_input17 = true
filter_linear17 = true
scale_type17 = absolute
// scale_x17 = 480
// scale_y17 = 270
// scale_x17 = 960
// scale_y17 = 540
scale_x17 = 800
scale_y17 = 600
alias17 = "BR_MirrorLowResPass"

// Add Blur for the Reflection (Horizontal) ----------------------------------------------------------------
shader18 = ../../shaders/HyperspaceMadness/hsm/hsm-blur-outside-screen-horiz.slang
mipmap_input18 = true
filter_linear18 = true

// Add Blur for the Reflection (Vertical) ----------------------------------------------------------------
shader19 = ../../shaders/HyperspaceMadness/hsm/hsm-blur-outside-screen-vert.slang
filter_linear19 = true
alias19 = "BR_MirrorBlurredPass"

// Reduce resolution ----------------------------------------------------------------
// Reduced to a very small amount so we can create a blur which will create a glow from the screen
//      Mipmap option allows smoother downscaling
shader20 = ../../../../blurs/blur9x9.slang
mipmap_input20 = true
filter_linear20 = true
scale_type20 = absolute
scale_x20 = 128
scale_y20 = 128
alias20 = "BR_MirrorReflectionDiffusedPass"

// Add Diffused glow all around the screen ----------------------------------------------------------------
//      Blurred so much that it's non directional
//      Mipmap option allows downscaling without artifacts
shader21 = ../../../../blurs/blur9x9.slang
mipmap_input21 = true
filter_linear21 = true
scale_type21 = absolute
scale_x21 = 12
scale_y21 = 12
alias21 = "BR_MirrorFullscreenGlowPass"
3 Likes

So If i understood properly, this means i just need to set mipmap_input in the slangp preset and then normally use its scaling parameter and normal texture() lookup instead of textureLod() to get the mipmapped texture?

That would be handy!

1 Like

Yeah that’s what it seems to do, as if it was doing textureLod() and giving the correct mipmap level

4 Likes

Hi there, I just released 3.0 version.

The shader is faster (its gpu usage is under 65% with all of the features enabled on my poor Haswell igpu) and also looks better than ever to me.

The biggest addition is the bezel emulation for which I have to say a big thank you to HSM for allowing me to rip his automagically generated monitor frame to a simple png file.

However, the code implementation is very different from Mega Bezel, because koko-aio needs transparent areas for tube.
Adapting Mega Bezel backgrounds should still be possible with little work.
That said, standard/classic overlays works just fine, you just need to replace background.png and adapt zoom levels, curvature and image border right from the shader options. (see screenshot)

One thing still missing are presets for HiDPI screens.
If you like how the shader looks @1080p and have some free time, there are several options in the Mask area to hopefully make a preset that looks good with higher resolutions.

Yes, screenshot or it didn’t happen, ofc.

Fake, but cheap ntsc emulation:

Running with all bells and whistles and zoomed-in monitor frame

Zoomed out and with a background image reacting to ambient light,
cold color temperature

A standard Overlay, I just elarged “the hole”
with Gimp to allow the reflections to pass through too,
aperturegrille, shamelessly over-bloomed, because why not?

Some relevant changes from the latest releases:

• Better denoise function
  • Allow to zoom out the output
  • Bezel and reflections
  • Interlace flickering emulation (you should see it live)
  • Several performance improvements (about 5% faster now)
  • Tweaked ambient light leds parameters
  • Better Bezel hilights and reflections
  • Whole image zooming depending on the content brightness
  • Improved scene detection logic for Ambient led lights
  • Bloom: allow to choose how much it affects bright colors
  • Allow to set an RGB Mask size for HiDPI screens
  • Allow to draw a gap between rgb mask triads
  • Presets tweaking
  • VMASK: implemented green-magenta to rgb subpixel layout
  • Add support for RGB offset
  • Add Contrast, brightness and color temperature controls
  • Add support for background or alpha driven foreground images
  • Add new “vibrant tv” and “fake ntsc” presets
  • Improved bloom look
  • Add simple chroma bleed option
  • Code cleanup

Comments always appreciated, critics needed, have fun!

12 Likes

Hi there.

I just saw the new version of the shader. I tested out the NTSC profile of the shader. Do you know how to get a more accurate NTSC effect so that dither patterns and vertical lines like those you see on Genesis games get blended better? Or do I have to mess around with the bandwidth limited chroma bleeding option? Nice shader by the way!

Hi, full NTSC encoding/decoding is just not implemented (yet), so the specific “patterns to color” feature is something you cannot achieve. All of my systems was PAL, so I wasn’t interested in implementing it and by now the only thing you can do is to play with chroma bleeding, blur (input glow) and RGB shifting, but it will trick only untrained, naked eyes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah ok, that’s a shame. I really like the “blurry composite” feel of the shader though.